SBCA Digital QC
Scott Ward, principal officer of Southern Components and chair of SBCA’s Quality Control Committee, sat down with SBCA Executive Director Kirk Grundahl to discuss the industry’s current in-plant quality control processes, along with SBCA’s Digital QC Program and how it is going to revolutionize the component manufacturing industry.
Component Manufacturing Quality Control Reimagined
SBCA Digital QC early release software is ready for distribution to SBCRI 3rd Party licensees.
Why SBCA Digital QC
- Truss joints are being scrutinized more critically in the field
- CMs desire data to prove manufacturing performance
- QC accuracy evaluated anywhere in the construction process at any time
What & How
- Digital algorithms are quick, accurate & objective
- A small, rugged tablet, photographs & digitally inspects “Critical Joints”
- Takes 1/4 the time compared to traditional inspection
- Uses SBCA-unique-algorithms
- Limits human subjectivity & error
- Provides continuous improvement feedback loop
- Measure, compare, manage
Measure to Manage – Do you immediately know when:
- A machine is not pressing plates well; why?
- Crew #12 is having trouble with tooth roll; root cause?
- Certain joints are out of control; why?
- Crew #1 has three new team members & QC is affected; training?
Root Cause Evaluation then Solution
- Real-time data
- QC dashboard control charts & graphs lead to better decisions
- Create QC benchmarks for quick operation evaluations
Value to Component Manufacturers
- Synonymous with truss quality for:
- Truss Buyers
- General Contractors
- Building Officials
- Data helps show field issue causation
- Reduce jobsite quality disputes and backcharges
- Truss repairs do not have to be free
For Third Party Quality Assurance (QA) services, please visit SBCRI QA.