R501.3 and R302.13 Resource Page
SBCA has compiled the articles below to provide a comprehensive guide to the information it has published on R501.3 (from the 2012 IRC) and R302.12 (the same language incorporated in the 2015 IRC). The goal in organizing the information in this way is to enable the reader to fully understand this issue and SBCA’s position.
Question: Why was the IRC changed to provide a 2x10 exclusion from the requirement in R501.3/R302.13 that states, “Floor assemblies….shall be provided with a 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum wallboard membrane”?
- How Floor Trusses Became an Endangered Species, The Politics of It All
- AWC & NAHB Author Original Code Changes Proposals Effectively Banning Floor Truss and I-Joist Use
- NAHB'S Decision Making Process Disregards Harm Caused to Truss Industry
What does ASTM E119 floor assembly fire testing indicate should be required?
- Analysis of E119 Test Data Reveals Nothing Equivalent to 15-plus Minutes
- Analyzing How 2x10s & Flak Jacket Aren't Equivalent to a 15-minute Membrane
- SBCA Conducts Fire Testing to Protect CM’S Market Share