The SBCA Emerging Leaders Committee was created to give the next generation of leaders in the structural building components industry and in SBCA an opportunity to meet one another, build lasting relationships, learn from others who will share their experiences and gain a greater depth of knowledge of the industry and its trade association. The intent is to provide sustainability, growth and enthusiasm for member companies and the association.
As we look toward BCMC 2017 in Omaha, the committee is currently planning an SBCA social event for Tuesday evening, October 24, to welcome attendees of all ages to the show. In addition, the group is collaborating with BCMC committee members to bring students from a local community college to the show floor to learn more about the industry. Be sure to stop by the SBCA booth at BCMC to get to know one or more of these committee members better:
- Dallas Austin, Design Manager, Big C Lumber Truss & Panel (Dowagiac, MI)
- Greg Dahlstrom, IT/IS Manager, Villaume Industries, Inc. (St. Paul, MN)
- Jared Dix, Apex Truss (Warsaw, VA)
- Jason Hikel, Information Systems, Shelter Systems Limited (Westminster, MD)
- John Holland, Clearspan Components, Inc. (Meridian, MS)
- Darryl Hooper, VP of Operations, Southern Components, Inc. (Shreveport, LA)
- Mike Kozlowski, P.E., President, Apex Technology (Jacksonville, FL)
- Simran Nijjar, Associate Engineer EIT, California TrusFrame (Perris, CA)
- Justin Richardson, Sales Manager, Richco Structures (Sheboygan, WI)
- Jason Walsh, VP of Sales, California TrusFrame (Perris, CA)
- Jason Ward, VP of HR & Safety, California TrusFrame (Perris, CA)
- Travis J. White, Design Manager, A-1 Roof Trusses (Fort Pierce, FL)
- Chair: Steve Stroder, California TrusFrame (Perris, CA)
Requirements for Participation in the Emerging Leaders Committee:
- An Emerging Leader (EL) must work for an SBCA member company in good standing and be nominated by someone in the leadership of that company who is willing to sponsor his or her participation and serve as a Local Mentor (LM). The LM does not need to be a board member of SBCA to make a nomination, but should have the authority within his or her company to approve travel and other associated expenses on behalf of the EL.
- Each EL/LM pair must commit to attending at least two of three Open Quarterly Meetings (OQMs) and the BCMC show per year for at least one year.
- At the discretion of the president, an EL can participate in the committee without an LM.
- ELs will receive training from staff and members of the Executive Committee regarding how meetings are conducted, committees available, tools/products from SBCA, etc. This training will be provided either at OQMs or via GoToMeeting during the course of the year.
- In addition to participating in the goals and objectives of the Emerging Leaders Initiative, each EL must commit to serving on at least one SBCA committee. ELs will be given strong consideration for roles as vice-chairs of SBCA committees and will be looked to to lead meetings and focus groups at OQMs and BCMC.
- Members of the committee will provide an update on the group’s work at each Board meeting.
- The Emerging Leaders Committee will include both component manufacturers and suppliers.
Want to Know More?
Contact staff for more information about the Emerging Leaders Committee and upcoming events.